Goulburn-Murray Water (GMW) is warning customers and the public to avoid direct contact with water in Tullaroop Reservoir after monitoring detected high levels of blue-green algae.
Warning signs will be positioned at major recreational areas around Tullaroop Reservoir and will remain in place while high levels of blue-green algae are present.
Tullaroop Reservoir will not be closed to the public.
Visitors to the reservoir can still sightsee and enjoy other activities that do not involve direct contact with the water.
Blue-green algae occur naturally in waterbodies. They contain toxins that are harmful to humans and animals. Characteristic signs of algae contact are skin rashes or itchiness; sore eyes, ears and nose; or if swallowed, nausea or vomiting.
• People and pets avoid contact with the water.
• People who come into contact with affected water should wash affected skin immediately in clean cold water.
• Seeking an alternative water supply for stock and pets where possible.
• Do not use affected water for cooking, drinking, washing or showering. Boiling the affected water will not make it safe for these purposes.
• Reading GMW’s fact sheet and other information on blue green algae at GMW’s blue-green algae webpage to be informed of the risks.
It is not possible to predict how long the algae will remain at high levels and GMW will continue to monitor the situation in Tullaroop Reservoir. A blue-green algae warning has also been issued for Lake Eildon and a warning also remains current for Lake Eppalock.
Keep up-to-date with current blue-green algae warnings at www.g-mwater.com.au or by ringing 1800 013 357 and selecting the option for blue-green algae information.
For more on this story see Page 2 of The Advertiser, Tuesday, July 21