A new inquiry into family, domestic and sexual violence has been welcomed by the Centre for Non-Violence after the organisation was left “disappointed” by an inquiry, held earlier this year, which was cut short.
A senate inquiry into domestic violence, with particular regard to violence against women and their children, was launched in February following the deaths of Brisbane mother Hannah Clarke and her three children that same month.
The committee was given six months to examine the issue but delivered the report three months into the inquiry without any recommendations or input from the domestic and family violence sector.
Centre for Non-Violence chief executive officer Margaret Augerinos said the report failed to address the terms of reference and was a missed opportunity to get to the heart of how to start to address the drivers of domestic violence and gender inequality.
“We hoped the inquiry would help us move forward into the future, providing advice on what govern- ment and community need to do, to address the social and cultural behaviours required to eliminate violence against women and children,” she said.
However in May, the Federal Government announced a new inquiry, with Minister for Women Senator Marise Payne and Minister for Families and Social Services Senator Anne Ruston proposing terms of reference for a new inquiry.
Minister Payne said the challenging start to 2020 with the pandemic and associated restrictions required renewed consideration of how to reduce family, domestic and sexual violence in Australia.
For more on this story see Page 7 of The Advertiser, Tuesday, June 23