For the first time since 1945, there will be no Maryborough Castlemaine District Football Netball League (MCDFNL) season played this year with the league calling it quits on Friday afternoon.
On what would’ve been the eve of round 10, the MCDFNL made the long-awaited decision to scrap season 2020 due to lack of support by a majority of the league’s clubs.
After a presidents meeting earlier this month, the choice was made to delay a decision until after June 22 when the State Government was expected to lessen coronavirus restrictions.
However, as Victoria recorded a sudden spike in cases, state restrictions were tightened and the MCDFNL made the brutal decision to throw in the towel.
Long time MCDFNL president Stephen Broad said the call was one the executive felt it had to make based on feedback.
“It wasn’t a call we wanted to make, but it was one that we felt we had to make based on feedback from clubs. At the end of the day it’s about keeping everyone safe,” he said.
“We discussed it after the new restrictions that came out last week and I think the clubs looked at that and thought it’s just more added pressure. It’s not looking like it’ll be positive in Victoria for a little while.”
The MCDFNL had expressed its desire to at least get juniors up and running this year, mindful of the damage that a year off could do to junior pathways, however that idea wasn’t supported by clubs.
“We were in a situation where we had no chance of football or netball running, we were hoping we had enough interest to get some sort of a junior competition going, but again there was a majority of clubs who were against any sanctioned competition so we listened to that,” Broad said.
For more on this story see the Back Page of The Advertiser, Tuesday, June 30