Local dental practices have started opening their doors to patients for general procedures following a temporary ban on non-urgent treatments — aside from emergency procedures — due to COVID-19.
According to the Australian Dental Association (ADA), on May 8 the National Cabinet approved a move to level one restrictions for dentistry, meaning all dental treatments can go ahead although clinics must screen patients and only treat those who do not meet the epidemiological and clinical risk factors for COVID-19.
The news comes after a suspension on non-urgent services including general dental care, routine denture services and specialist care was announced by Minister for Health Jenny Mikakos on March 30, with emergency procedures still allowed to go ahead.
Clarendon Street Dental Practice has been providing emergency procedures while restrictions were in place and principal dentist Michael Lakkis said while the clinic has been able to cope with the restrictions, it’s good to be back to business as usual.
“We’re screening patients before making appointments but all our services have been back on the table since Monday last week,” he said.
The Maryborough Dental Practice and the Maryborough Family Dental Clinic are now also both open for general procedures.
Maryborough District Health Service operations manager primary preventative health Robyn Jordan said the health service’s dental clinic will continue to provide emergency procedures only for the time being.
For more on this story see Page 2 of The Advertiser, Friday, May 22