A casual hit of golf has been ruled non-essential by the national governing body for the sport, shutting down courses around the country until the COVID-19 situation resolves.
Hackers and professional hitters alike rejoiced in the green light for social golf last month, with most courses still accessible for members despite competition play being cancelled.
However, with the stage three restrictions announced last week, people are only permitted to leave home for shopping for essentials, medical purposes, exercise and work or education and Golf Australia has determined that social golf is none of the above.
As a result, larger local courses in Avoca and Maryborough are both now closed for any type of play.
Avoca vice captain Brad Gothard said the club is looking forward to the end of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“All members and locals please note that due to COVID-19, the Avoca golf course is closed to all activities until further notice,” he said.
“We hope all our members and their families stay safe and we will see you all at the end of this pandemic.”
Echoing the same sentiment, the Maryborough Golf Club announced on social media that there will be no golf at all until further notice.
“It is Golf Australia’s recommendation that, based on the announcement on March 29 that limits outdoor gatherings to two persons or fewer, all golf clubs and facilities should close until further notice,” a statement from Golf Australia said.
“The messaging has been clear on what constitutes exercise and while golf is used for exercise for many, it is clear that golf does not fall within this definition based on the government statement.
“While this is a difficult time for the golf industry and wider society, Golf Australia is committed to working with clubs and facilities across the state to ensure that we return a vibrant, strong industry.”
For more on this story see Page 19 of The Advertiser, Tuesday, April 7