While government restrictions to combat the spread of COVID-19 have seen Central Goldfields eateries forced to make the move to takeaway and home deliveries only, local retail businesses have also jumped on board with the idea.
Although under the latest stage three restrictions retail can still remain open, Australians have been warned by both state and federal governments that they must stay at home unless shopping for essentials, leaving local stores without their usual foot traffic.
The situation has sparked many clothing outlets to start promoting their stores through online shopping and delivering items to customer’s doors, including Maryborough’s Debbie Lee Fashions.
The businesses owner, Jenni Fiske said after deciding to close the High Street shop front just over a week ago, she has been helping customers get the items they need.
“The restrictions have had a huge impact. Local businesses are trying to adapt but we’re all very worried, I’ve been losing sleep over it,” she said.
“Although we didn’t have to I made the decision to shut the store
front to help stop the spread and instead continued selling things through our website, Facebook and Instagram and delivering items.
“We do it really safely, we drop the items at people’s doors and send them a text. We are so very grateful for the support we’re getting.”
Ms Fiske said although some of the financial packages handed out by the government will be helpful if the business qualifies for any, it’s particularly tough for retail.
“We’re really doing it tough financially,” she said.
While most local fashion outlets still have shop fronts open, many are also providing online shopping and/ or home delivery and postage including:
• Little Smiles Fashions — online orders, postage and free Maryborough delivery
• Rinaldi’s Ladies Fashions — free home delivery within 15 kms
• Debbie Lee Fashions — online or phone orders only, home delivery and postage
• Hartwell Shoes — online orders, free home delivery within 30 kms
• Lola Mindi Boutique — online orders and postage
• Mis’cha Boutique — online orders, local delivery, pick up and postage
• Fashion Harlie — online orders only, free local delivery
• Macks Fashion & Surf — online orders, in store pick up, postage and free local delivery
• Sportspower — online orders and free local delivery
• Eileen’s Frock Salon — store currently still open and providing local deliveries. To place an order contact 0418 301 917.
*This article was accurate as of printing on Monday, April 6. Businesses are subject to ongoing change.
For more on this story see the Front Page of The Advertiser, Tuesday, April 7