Council refuses Majorca planning application

The Central Goldfields Shire Council has refused a planning application for a second dwelling to be constructed in Majorca, despite works on the proposed building beginning in 2011.

At last month’s ordinary council meeting, Central Goldfields Shire administrators issued a notice to refuse the planning application for Nesbet Road, Majorca, to construct a studio for a host farm and accommodation for prospective clients visiting the site’s horse stud, on four grounds.

The grounds include that the subject site is not located near a township and the intensification of residential uses on the land is not supported by council’s policy, the proposal may lead to excessive and unnecessary tree and vegetation removal and the construction of a second dwelling is not consistent with the Rural Living Zone.

During the meeting, administrator Hugh Delahunty said the “lengthy” report tabled to council covers a number of planning matters.

“The planning issues covered in this report refer to a number of policies driven by state and federal governments,” he said.

“The proposal for the use of this land for a second dwelling, I do not believe, accords with the policy guiding residential developments in the shire, therefore I’m comfortable in supporting the recommendation (to refuse the application) outlined.”

According to the report tabled to council, based on the council’s records, it appears that construction of the existing dwelling and garage on the lot commenced in 2006. The construction of a new, second dwelling probably commenced in or about 2011.

For more on this story see Page 10 of The Advertiser, Friday, August 2

Comments are closed.