Blue-green algae warning removed from Cairn Curran

Goulburn Murray Water (GMW) has removed the blue- green algae warning for Cairn Curran Reservoir following a significant decline in algae levels, however warnings remain in place for Tullaroop.

GMW will continue to undertake water quality monitoring and if blue blue-green algae reach levels deemed unsafe by national health guidelines, a warning will be issued.

With a warning still in place for Tullaroop, GMW is urging the public to avoid contact with water.

According to the Department of Health and Human Services, blue-green algae contains toxins which may cause skin rashes, itchiness, sore eyes, ears and nose, asthma, numbness of lips and limbs, nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea.

The DHHS advises that if you do have contact with affected water, remove any clothing and wash yourself thoroughly with clean water after coming ashore and rinse wetsuits before wearing them again to remove any traces of algae.

Seek medical advice if you have any health effects after recreational water activities.

Pet owners are also being warned to keep their dogs away from algae- affected water, as dogs can be poisoned or die from contact with some types of blue–green algae.

For more on this story see Page 2 of The Advertiser, Friday, August 16

 

Comments are closed.