Transfer station upgraded to prepare for e-waste ban

The Carisbrook Transfer Station has received a $100,000 upgrade to allow the site to sort and collect e-waste.

Victorians will soon no longer be able to toss old phones, batteries and other electronic waste in the rubbish bin as the State Government’s new e-waste ban comes into effect.

The banning of all e-waste (electrical or electronic equipment with a power cord or battery) from going into landfill will come into effect from July 1 and is designed to help protect the environment and recover more precious resources.

The ban means residents will no longer be able to toss electronic waste such as power cords, mobile phones, batteries, televisions, microwaves, fluorescent lamps, toasters or drills into their regular rubbish bins.

Residents will now have to take their electronic waste to the nearest e-waste collection site and to support the ban the government is investing $16.5 million to upgrade e-waste collection and storage facilities and to deliver an education campaign to support the ban.

The Carisbrook Transfer Station was one of the facilities awarded a $100,000 government grant last year to upgrade the facility, which will be completed this week.

Central Goldfields Shire chief administrator Noel Harvey said he encouraged all residents to drop off their e-waste to any transfer station in the shire from July 1.

“Our transfer stations are now suitable to responsibly dispose of e- waste,” he said.

For more on this story see Page 3 of The Advertiser, Friday, June 14

Comments are closed.