Lexton Recreation Reserve upgrade moves forward after $1 million grant

The Lexton Recreation Reserveʼs upgrade project has been put into motion with a $1 million funding contribution announced by Member for Wannon Dan Tehan last month. Photo: supplied.

The burden of a rundown recreation facility has plagued the Lexton community for years, but a recent government funding announcement of $1 million has officially put the rebuild into motion.

Plans for a community hub at the Lexton Recreation Reserve have been in the pipes for over seven years and got a massive boost last month when Member for Wannon Dan Tehan travelled to the reserve to announce the latest $1 million commitment.

This funding from the Building for Better Regions Fund sits atop an $800,000 State Government fund- ing package and a $600,000 contribution from the Pyrenees Shire Council that were both announced last year.

The community has also rallied around the proposal, fundraising the remainder to put the $2.8 million plans to work with construction expected to start early next year.

Lexton Football Netball Club president Jordan Phelan said this latest announcement is a “great relief” after years of hard work.

“It’s fantastic, it means we can go ahead with our plans now. We’re obviously stoked, but it’s a been lot of hard work from a lot of people to get here,” he said.

“We’re now at a point where we can go ahead as we’ve got the finances there.

“Ideally we’d love to get it sorted by the start of next season but we know these things take a little bit of time.

“There’s nothing stopping us, we’re putting it out to tender at the moment and we’re just waiting to hear back from that. Then the planning and construction can begin.”

A big driving force behind the need for a new facility has come from the club’s newest members, Lexton’s under 18s female football team.

For more on this story see the Back Page of The Advertiser, Friday, April 12

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.