The brother of Terry Floyd has said a huge burden has been lifted from his shoulders after the search for the missing Maryborough boy’s remains was boosted by government funding this week.
Confirmed on Wednesday, the State Government has committed $50,000 to the effort to excavate the disused Gold Star Mine which Terry’s bother, Daryl Floyd, believes holds the remains of Terry who disappeared from an Avoca roadside in 1975 at the age of 12.
“We hope that these extra funds can help support the family of Terry Floyd recover his body and reach closure in this matter,” a government spokesperson said.
“There still remains a substantial reward regarding information relating to Terry Floyd’s disappearance.
“We encourage anyone who has information this matter to contact Victoria Police and help give the family of Terry Floyd the answers they so desperately need.”
The funding stemmed from Parliamentary Secretary to the
Premier Colin Brooks visiting the mine site earlier this year and detailing the search effort to Premier Daniel Andrews, who personally confirmed the funding to Daryl Floyd with a phone call on Tuesday night.
“It’s fantastic news and something that will go a long way to getting this search completed,” Daryl told The Maryborough District Advertiser on Wednesday.
For more on this story see the Front Page of The Advertiser, Friday, December 9.
Anyone with information on the Terry Floyd case should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.