Attention for mine search

010512 04

A hammer drill punched through quartz as two excavators continued the search to locate remains of Maryborough schoolboy, Terry Floyd.

The dig to find remains of the 12-year-old, missing since June 1975, has stepped up after Terry’s Rutherglen-based brother, Daryl Floyd, gained DSE approval to open cut excavate at the bushland site just out of Avoca.

Daryl’s extensive research has led him to believe his brother’s body lies dumped down a mine shaft there.

Since Friday two excavators, donated by search supporters from Ballarat and Maryborough, have worked to excavate between the Morning Star mine shaft which Daryl began excavating in October 2010, and another ventilation shaft.

Daryl says the ventilation shaft is about 20 metres away from the Morning Star shaft that his mining team have already dug out to a depth of 54 metres.

On Sunday, forensics experts and veteran homicide squad detective Senior Sergeant Ron Iddles were also on the site.

Victoria Police are still offering a $100,000 reward to anyone who can help solve the case.

Yesterday Daryl said the dig is now unearthing dumped cow carcass remains indicating it is breaking into layers of debris dumped during the 1970s when Terry disappeared.

The dig is also gaining renewed media attention.

“Seven news was here Saturday. And Channel 10 came up Saturday as well. And now WIN at Ballarat and they’re on their way up as we speak.

“And I’ve got to do a talk-back with ABC Ballarat at 9.20. And I’ve just been on 2AY in Albury,” Daryl said.

Daryl’s partner Louise Gazis was also on site over the weekend as part of the close knit crew of supporters including Ballarat, Maryborough and Avoca businesses.

“I’m originally a Maryborough girl and I’ve known about this case right from the beginning so I think it’s quite incredible,” Louise said.

“It’s something we’ve all grown up with. I was at school when it happened and my younger sister remembers Terry. He was the paper boy.

“People have to do what they have to do and this is something Daryl has to do.”

“Since Daryl’s started this project we’ve met some amazing people,” Louise said as just metres away the two donated excavators shifted rocky layers representing years accumulated since Terry’s disappearance.

“These guys here. They’re just incredible,” she said.

Yesterday Daryl said that while he has now had to return to his Albury workplace some of the excavation crew are still on site and he expects to return within weeks.

If the current excavation of the drive connecting the Morning Star shaft and the ventilation shaft does not unearth what they seek, Daryl says the next step will be to excavate the ventilation shaft itself.

“We believe that shaft will definitely go a minimum of 100 feet down,” he said.

“We got down a fair way yesterday,” he said.

“We’ve got to get back to that 1975 mark. That’s the targeted area. They stopped throwing out the cow skulls in 1979.

“We’ll be back in two or three weeks times to continue on if need be.”

Comments are closed.