Countless people have enjoyed the dances held at the Workers’ Hall in Maryborough over the years, particularly those held on Saturday nights, but they also had a great appreciation for the musicians who presented the toe tapping music for dancing.
From the time the first dance was held in the newly opened hall on Saturday, July 30 in 1927, local and district bands provided the music.
Some of those mentioned in advertisements in the Maryborough Advertiser are the Paramount Orchestra (1927), Ron McNiece and his Rhythm Rascals (1934), Taylor’s Dance Band (1939), Taylor’s Orchestra (1941), Cole’s Orchestra (1944) and the Gold Star Band.
No doubt there would have been other bands who played there.
Charlie Cole’s Dance Band is the one remembered by many, and the musicians who played with the band over that time, from the late 1930s to the 1960s.
Drummer, Paddy Harris started playing with Charlie Cole’s Dance Band in the 1950s, replacing Freddie Boxall.
The band in those years consisted of Charlie Cole on sax, Sylvie Cole on piano, Alan Bartlett on trumpet and Paddy Harris on drums.
Alan Bartlett had joined Charlie’s band as a 21-year-old, around 1947 and he and fellow trumpeter, Bill Fawcett both played in the band for a time, until Bill finished up.
When Sylvie left the band, Arthur Hill took on playing the piano.