While the rain put a bit of a dampener on the Midlands Bowls Association pennant competition, Talbot Gold won a tight contest against Dunolly Blue by four shots.

The game was played on the MacLeod Green at Talbot and for most of the afternoon it appeared the Yabbies were heading for a comfortable victory.

However, all of a sudden, Dunolly Blue was back in the match.

Despite leaving the green on two or three occasions with heavy showers sweeping through, the game was completed.

The contest between Rod Johnston and John Tetlow went right down to the final bowl with the score level on the last end.

The Talbot team picked up two shots to win their encounter 25-23.

Chris Williams’ visiting side got on top late in the day and surged home to be up 31-20 with one end to be played.

Paul Adcock’s Talbot Gold combination held a big lead for most of the afternoon but Phil Mortlock’s team fought back late and trailed 17-30 with one end remaining.

This meant that overall, with two ends to play, Talbot’s lead had been cut to just four shots.

In an exciting finale to the day, Crossley, after a couple of measures, had gained a shot.

On the other rink, Adcock was one down but his side had only one bowl in the head, the second shot.

Mortlock had to play the Talbot bowl out for five shots and a win overall. His final delivery missed by centimetres and so Dunolly Blue gained a shot and the difference overall was still four shots – 76-72.

This was the second successive four shot loss for Dunolly Blue, which remains in second spot on the ladder, but 11 shots in arrears of Talbot Gold.

At Dunolly, the home Gold team, after having a win and a tie in recent weeks, continued its great form to defeat Highland Tartan 73-61.

Dunolly Gold started the season with just five points in five matches but has improved markedly since.

On Saturday, the Golds won two of the three matches with Scotty Taylor guiding his side to a 27-19 victory and Sam Whitehead got up 25-20.

The third game was tight with Highland Tartan’s Andy Brumby winning by a solitary shot over Gordon Hiskens.

The scheduled match at Avoca between Avoca Red and Golf Blue was washed out with points shared.


In division two, Newstead Blue celebrated its first win for the season when it defeated Highland Red 67-55.

When these sides clashed earlier in the season, a tie was the result but on the Newstead green, it was the home team which rose to the occasion on Saturday.

Bill Burnett guided his Newstead team to a solid 30-15 win and Col Rogers also got up 23-16 to give the home side a big advantage.

Highland Red did return home with a couple of points courtesy of Tubby Hunt’s 24-14 victory.

Newstead is still last on the ladder, but is now only nine points out of the four.

Ladder leader Dunolly Green continued on its winning way defeating Golf Gold 82-55.

In an unusual result, two of the three matches were tied while the Dunolly Green side of Syd Webb, the affable George Stuart, Bob Henderson and Arthur Deason (skip) eclipsed the opposition 41-14.

John Dellavedova and Peter Rebbechi gained a point each for their 21-all result as did the teams of Keith Mottram and Norm Sing at 20-all.

At the Maryborough Highland Society, the game between the Blacks and Talbot Brown was called off when the green was closed.


Newstead White won its first game of the season when it defeated Dunolly Red in a thrilling contest 75-74.

Newstead did get maximum points when it gained a forfeit earlier in the season.

As at other venues, the bowlers were on and off the green with the showers but throughout, the scores were always close.

Rob Weir’s Dunolly Red side gave the team a real boost when it picked up the maximum eight shots late in the afternoon.

Henry Cichocki led his Newstead White combination to a handy seven shot win.

In an exciting climax to their contest, Maurie Gervasoni trailed the kitty after being three down at the head to win by a shot over Paul Chase in a terrific contest.

Despite Peter Tangey trailing Weir on the scoreboard, with two ends to play, overall Newstead White was leading by three shots.

On the penultimate end, Tangey was four shots down but was able to cut back to just one and so Dunolly Red trailed by two shots.

On the final end, the Dunolly Red bowlers had again done their bit to be holding three shots.

However, Tangey was equal to the occasion for the second end in a row and drew second shot to see Newstead White get up 75-74 in a great contest. Weir won this final encounter 32-25 and these were the only points that Dunolly received.

Maldon, on its home surface, narrowly defeated top team Talbot White 69-64. The Maldon side of Glynn Prosser, Jim Lacey, Les Greelish and Eric Cook (skip) played very well and won 32-19 to get the club over the line.

Talbot White won the other two matches with Jack Doughty up by five shots and Curly Britten by three over Peter Bassett.

The other two games in this division were washed out with the points being shared by Golf Green and Avoca Gold and also Highland White and Carisbrook.

Graeme Raeck’s Avoca Gold side would have been cursing the rain as it was leading at 4.40 pm, 27 shots to just three, when the rain caused the end of play.

Comments are closed.