‘Borough thrashes Eaglehawk

140709 26

The Maryborough Magpies finished all over the top of Eaglehawk to register a big 61 point upset victory at Princes Park on Saturday.

The match was played in steady rain after the first quarter and it was obvious that the Magpies wanted the football more than their opponents in the second half.

Maryborough went into this clash with two changes from the side which defeated Castlemaine the week before. Into the line-up came Michael Jennings and Ash Noonan.

Omitted were Ben Jackson and Lachlan Crameri.

The game started with the Hawks in full flight and kicking to the band rotunda end of Princes Park which appeared favoured by the biting wind.

Magpie coach, Shane Fisher, assigned himself to Hawk champ Brady Herdman but it was the visiting star who had a real impact on the game early.

After a poor kick out after Eaglehawk had scored a behind, Herdman had a shot at goal from the boundary line and it was a great kick for full points.

A minute and a half later, Herdman had two majors on the board when he soccered the footy through the middle.

The busy Shannon Milward booted another and it was 3.1 to zip.

Herdman received a free kick and goaled but then Dylan Clarkson’s pass found Matt Brown who kicked accurately and the home team was on the board.

Jamie Bond took a good mark and then found Clarkson who put Maryborough’s second major on the scoreboard.

But Herdman got the final goal of the quarter, his fourth, and the Hawks led at quarter time 5.1 (31) to 2.2 (14).

The rain returned at the end of the first term and continued for the rest of the match.

Maryborough wasted the footy early in the second term but then Lachie Edwards, who was playing very well, combined with Clarkson to get the ball on to Brown who snapped truly.

Matt Bilton had a tremendous run out of defence, had a couple of good passes with the second finding Brown. He then passed the ball onto the nose of Luke Bucknall who converted and the ’Pies were just a few points behind.

Clarkson, from just over 40 metres out, kicked a bit of a floater which came back at the last minute and snuck through for a goal and the Magpies were just one point down approaching half time.

A short pass finds Jamie Bond and the big man kicked very well to put the home team in front for the first time for the afternoon.

Jarrod Findlay regained the lead for the Hawks but Mick “Pockets” Noonan soccered the ball through the middle and at half time the ’Pies led 7.5 (47) to 6.4 (40).

With the rain continuing after the break and the lights on, Maryborough’s desire didn’t waiver.

Goals to Bilton, Cam Skinner (from the boundary line) and Cam Rinaldi, the Magpies increased the lead to 10.7 (67) to 8.7 (55) by three quarter time.

The scene was set for a tough, all or nothing final term from both teams but this didn’t eventuate.

The ’Pies were relentless and with Clarkson and Brown outstanding up forward, the goals kept coming.

In a brilliant team performance, the Magpies booted seven last quarter majors while holding Eaglehawk scoreless to race away to a huge 17.14 (116) to 8.7 (55).

After kicking five goals in the opening term, the Hawks managed just three for the rest of the match in what would have been a shattering result for coach Derrick Filo.

Good players for the ’Borough were found all over the ground and just some of these were smaller players Edwards, Bilton, Bucknall, Liam Belcher and Mitch Kennedy also Tyson Macilwain, Bond, Fisher, Dell, Clarkson, Brown and Irish Macintosh.

Goalkickers: Magpies — Brown 5, Clarkson 4, Bilton and Skinner 2, Bucknall, Bond, M. Noonan, Rinaldi. Hawks — Herdman 5, Cam and Shannon Milward, Findlay.

This win, in very trying conditions, was the best the Maryborough club has had for some time and all players are to be congratulated on their efforts.

Comments are closed.